Tuesday, January 12, 2010

To Revise or Not To Revise

Well over a year ago I submitted a (hastily written but well proof-read) essay to be considered in an anthology. This week I heard from the editor with an update about the glitches she has encountered in trying to complete the project and get in published. The gist of the email was, if this is taking too long for you, let me know and I'll pull your submission out of the pile.

My attitude is not that this is taking too long, the piece was written specifically for her anthology, but that what I really need to do is a complete rewrite. Now, my piece may be in her pile of rejections already; I do believe that the email was simply a courtesy at large, not meant just for folks she was considering including. I wrote her back and gave her the out of rejecting the essay outright, or leaving it all alone for now, or letting me do a rewrite. Not sure when or if I will get a reply, but having the information certainly makes it easier for me to let it go in general for now.

Even if it does desperately need to be rewritten.

*sigh*

No comments: