Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Silly Ol' Internet!

I have been honing my online research skills for a few years now. Investigating my (deceased) childhood abuser has proven to be very challenging and so has forced me to learn to be creative and patient in my searches.

It has also taught me that although we are in the new technology age, the information age, that not a ton of information is available online. Okay, there is a ton, but not as much as one might think or as accurate. In fact, unless one chooses to have an online presence, it is difficult to track someone down without having access to government records (many of which are simply not available to honest lay-people).

For instance, I spent years looking for my good friend Pat. I knew that he left the area when he joined the Air Force, but I didn't know if he was still on active duty, where he had settled, etc. The military doesn't exactly post regular updates about where its people are living/working. I actually sent out several emails over the years hoping to track him down. Eventually it worked, abut 10 years after I started. He made an obscure posting on an obscure website years ago that happened to have a still active email address attached to it. We have been in touch ever since, and I eventually convinced him to join Facebook for more regular contact.

Recently I have been searching another old friend, Flo. I heard from a mutual friend, who is nearly invisible on-line or off, that she had married her long-time sweetheart and said honey was now teaching. I stumbled across his (the honey's) name because he is an active musician and pops up occasionally online. About 5 years ago I sent off an email to the band address asking about her, but heard nothing. This week I found him on MySpace and sent him a message. So far nothing.

Then I found a listing for them both in San Francisco--IN THE ONLINE WHITE PAGES. D'Oh!! I could just call her at home!

That is way too easy. Calling someone at home? Isn't that a little out there? I mean, email is a nice safe way to make contact and just as easy a way to avoid someone. I'm going to have to think about this...

No comments: