Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Out There Again

I just sent of another essay out for consideration in an online literary journal. That makes three this summer. That may not sound like much, but considering how little writing I have done in the last few years, this is a big deal for me.

They say that the art is in the revision. If that is the case, then I have been particularly artistic of late. One piece was written ten years ago. Another was started in 2008, and today's submission is the youngest, only dating back to early 2015.

The oldest piece was the most difficult to revise, it tells the story of the year I was ten and being molested by my guitar teacher. I have submitted it in the past with no luck. One respondent suggested that the story didn't have a very universal appeal. Ha! That is funny. Considering that 25% of girls and 20% of boys report sexual abuse, this is hardly an isolated phenomenon. The respondent was clearly in deep, deep denial or simply clueless.

With all that being said, it needed a good revision. But it took a long time before I could read it over and over again and make the necessary cuts and revisions. The end result is a piece that is leaner and more focused, with a clearer arc and theme. The fact that I spent most of a weekend dealing with panic attacks is a side-effect that was well worth the effort.

I'll let you know what happens!

1 comment:

Elf said...

Best of luck. 3 is an impressive number, actually. Your pants are apparently working.